Oct
Designer Drugs – Through The Prism Posted by: Nate in Electronic

A lot of you were craving for this after hearing it on their latest datamix and it’s finally here. Designer Drugs dropped the first single off their upcoming album yesterday and it doesn’t disappoint.. Well maybe a little. Some of you my know I’m always super critical of artists that I enjoy, so I’m giving this the same judgement as I always do. With that said, I’m not feeling the lyrics on this track. I love what they do with lyrics on their remixes, but in this case it just seems out of place. Is it just me being stubborn? Probably, I’ve been known to do that. At the end of the day though, it’s definitely one of their best originals next to Drop Down and I’ll be one of the first to buy the album when it drops.

Designer Drugs – Through The Prism (320 kbps)

• Brian October 28, 2010 at 2:36 am

I agree with your sentiment on the lyrics. Still a top notch release for October, though. I continue to think they peaked (production wise) w/ ZOMBIES!.

• IGGZ October 28, 2010 at 8:12 am

Frankly, if this is what’s at the forefront of electro today, then that is seriously disappointing. If people will be listening to this in six months, then.. that’s insanely strange. Everything’s subjective don’t get me wrong, but this hip-hop crossover shit, even as an instrumental.. it’s just redundant shit. They were good with their IAMX, Annie, and Freezepop remixes.. but this is just noise that lacks artistry like some of their earlier stuff.

• Glenn McElfresh October 28, 2010 at 1:52 pm

Personally I think all of the datamixes have been pretty crappy since 3 or 4. DD peaked production wise at Drop Down and Zombies is sick as hell. As hateful as I sound, I’m still a big fan of Designer Drugs, I just wish they’d go back and do shit they’re good at instead of doing this crap.

• Caspar October 28, 2010 at 6:05 pm

I agree with the general sentiment expressed here, unfortunately I don’t find either the vocals or the instrumental track very exciting. Nothing seems to really stand out here. Drop Down and Zombies were the shit, and still remain a couple of my all time favourite tracks, so I’d like to see a return to that style, with a greater focus on the instrumental aspect of the song, as these spoken/rapped monotone lyrics (seen also in Fly By Night) don’t do anything for me

• Vilerah October 28, 2010 at 6:45 pm

Will stems be available?

• CoopDevil November 14, 2010 at 5:34 pm

You kidding? It’s a killer track and the lyrics are the best part: “Sizzled retinas, that’s the sign/ Vision makes planets align/ Cosmic rays goin’ down the spine.”. Guess none of the commenters ever been through the prism of a 4-day weekend.