Jan
Death From Above 1979 – CBC Studio Session Posted by: Nate in Rock

It’s hard to believe it’s almost been 4 years since Death From Above 1979 broke up. As most of you know Jesse went on to form MSTRKRFT with AL-P and Sebastien went on to do a lot of solo work and then formed a band called Sebastien Grainger and The Mountains. This year they’ll be reuniting at Coachella and I couldn’t be more excited. For me, DFA 1979 was one of the stepping stones into electronic music — MSTRKRFT, Justice, Ed Banger — I even traded bootlegs of their shows with various people back in the day, so I’m sure it’ll be a very surreal experience for me to see them play live. And for those who need a little taste, here’s their CBC Studio Session. If there’s enough demand, I may post all the bootlegs I have.

Death From Above 1979 – CBC Studio Session (zip, 31mb)

Tracklist:
1. Too Much Love
2. Turn It Out
3. Dead Womb
4. Romantic Rights
5. We Don’t Sleep At Night
6. You’re A Woman, I’m A Machine

7. If We Don’t Make It, We’ll Fake It
8. Pull Out
9. Do It

• Red Hood January 19, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Which bootlegs do you have? cause i have a good number of them as well

• Fuzzhead January 19, 2011 at 2:44 pm

This is amazing. I never thought I’d get a chance to see them again. They’ve been my favorite band for the past 5 years. Do you think this show would be a one time thing?

I personally would love if you posted these bootlegs as I have none of them.

• Cian January 19, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Completely true about them being a stepping stone, I see them as one of the most influential bands of the last 10 years.
    Personally, I can trace the majority of my current music taste back to discovering DFA (albeit only 3 years ago) after knowing Romantic Rights from the Human Giant theme music.. DFA lead to MSTRKRFT lead to Justice lead to Crookers, and on from there…

Please post all your bootlegs!

• Evan_G January 19, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I agree with all text on this fucking page! haha

So blown away, huge fan, would love those bootlegs (but I also see the personal value in not posting them). ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

• Matt Barnes January 19, 2011 at 3:46 pm

You have no clue how happy this makes me. Im flying from dc to go to cochella, for DFA79. would love to hear the the bootlegs, if you post them or send them to me.

• Red Hood January 19, 2011 at 5:39 pm

There some bootlegs on this site

not sure if the download links still work
    but its better than nothing

• ktu January 19, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I completely feel you. I was so upset when DFA1979 broke up because I never had a chance to see them. MSTRKRFT was my first real taste of electro, which led to Justice and Ed Banger stuff as well. I am sooooo psyched.

• Lukas January 19, 2011 at 6:09 pm

don’t mean to advertise but I’ve posted the Alberta and Montreal bootlegs on my blog –> http://nightrumour.com

• Eddie Russek January 19, 2011 at 10:01 pm

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG
    OMG
    OMG
    OMG <33333333333

• Brendan Brisk January 19, 2011 at 10:26 pm

OH MY GOD! YES!

• Paolo January 19, 2011 at 11:02 pm

I use the blog a lot, but never comment. Had to for this post. DFA1979 was a stepping stone for me like you had described yourself. Would love to see you post the rest of the bootlegs.

• VibeBoss January 20, 2011 at 12:25 am

OMG. I just about crapped myself when I heard they were reuniting for Coachella. Whats crazy though is I COMPLETELY agree about the stepping stones too! When Romance Bloody Romance was released in 2005 it opened a door to a whole new music experience for me! It led me to Justice, Erol Alkan and MSTRKRFT and now 6 years later electronic dance music is all I mostly listen too. Its funny how I can relate to you, I thought I was the only one!
    And as for the rest of their music, its all pretty damn dancey too… I could definitely get down to it any day. By far one of my favorite bands.

• Serhio January 20, 2011 at 2:52 am

nice bass? & bad vokal

• paulos January 20, 2011 at 6:53 am

Great post!! Never thought I’d see the day they reunited!! Excellent excellent news! Would LOVE to hear some bootlegs..not all of the personal stash of course

• Daniel January 20, 2011 at 3:08 pm

POST THE BOOTLEGS NATE.

also.

wanna hang at coachella? if it’s they’re only gig, i’m flying from london uk or someshit. i cannot miss them.

• andrew January 20, 2011 at 3:41 pm

good call for the reader meet up!

• Adam Cole January 20, 2011 at 8:54 pm

Is it too late to fall back in love? I don’t think so..

• VibeBoss January 20, 2011 at 11:41 pm

We are curious… is there any word on DFA staying back together and possibly working on some new music? Or is it all for one grand show at Coachella?

• Matt Ross January 21, 2011 at 6:43 am

DFA 1979 also had a hand in getting me into Dance Music. Please post the Bootlegs. I will trade you for all the tracks I’ve produced myself from being inspired by them which are up for free on my soundcloud. So bad trade…. But please post the BOOTLEGS!!!!

• Mark D January 23, 2011 at 10:59 am

When I first heard DFA, it was revelatory. They cut to the heart of a song in the rawest way, and gave it this energy like few others. I’m so pumped they’re doing this, I really, really hope they come back to Toronto and maybe even record something new.

Also great idea on having a reader meet up!

• YoDeFoe February 1, 2011 at 10:34 pm

Completely sold on DFA 1979 leading me back in to electro after dropping techno in the late 90s. Nothing excited me so much as the release of their name on the Coachella bill – I never got a chance to see them live before.

• Discoskull February 3, 2011 at 3:34 am

I don’t think anyone shreds harder than DFA – listening to them is like snorting PCP. Thanks for the zip. PEACE