Jun
Moombahton: A Slow Starting Relationship Posted by: Nate in Other

I wanted to take the time today to write a few words on a subject I’ve been silent on since it’s emergence last year. I’ve tried to avoid, since I really could care less about it. But the time has come to express my feelings.

My friends over at Stoney Roads wrote up a little post a while ago expressing their distaste for the genre. One of their concerns was how you’d be able to dance to something like Moombahton. I’m not too concerned about that since people manage to dance to just about anything these days. I’m focuing more on their other point. How creativity in the music simply goes out the window when the whole genre is based off slowing a song down to 108bpm.

The fundamental problem I see with Moombahton is that it wasn’t a unique sound that was created over time and slowly evolved like many of the styles in electro house that you see today. Moombahton was created by slowing Afrojack’s remix of the Silvio Ecomo & DJ Chuckie’s Moombah to 108 bpm. For me, the real problem with Moombahton is that you can define it. Moombahton was introduced as a genre in a new age of so many bedroom producers that it overwhelms my inbox every morning with crazy mashups, edits, remixes and everything in between. There are so many people who can simply fire up FL Studio, Reason, Logic, Ableton, Pro Tools, etc and use that established definition of Moombahton to create something that resembles Kuato from Total Recall.

If Moombahton is to survive and stand up as a respectable genre in my eyes, remixes and edits need to become more creative. I’d actually prefer for most of them to stop, but I know that’s not going to happen. Bedroom producers to need step up and start experimenting more and broadening the definition. Getting away from lazy edits and remixes which just add a few simple kick drums.

The good news is this has already somewhat started. Some producers have taken to create their own original Moombahton tracks, which actually sound pretty good. And do you know why they sound good? Because they were made from the beginning to be played at 108bpm. One of the producers leading the original Moombahton front right now is Dillon Francis. His originals thus far have been great and I’ve yet to hear a Moombahton remix from him that didn’t push it to the next level.

Dillon Francis – Que Que Feat. Maluca

Kito & Reija Lee – Broken Hearts (Dillon Francis Remix) by Dillon Francis

A few more producers including Tittsworth and Alvin Risk are also doing great originals.

Alvin Risk & Tittsworth – Pendejas by AlvinRisk

I sort of sound like a broken record saying it over and over again, but I believe it’s important to really hammer the point home. Moombahton needs to expand what it’s known as.

At the end of the day I still don’t think Moombahton should have been classified as a genre. But I also realize it’s not going away anytime soon. I laid out my views, now back to your regularly scheduled electro…

Tagged as: , , ,

• Pumayim June 15, 2011 at 12:47 pm

shy day – heartbreak is also a good song

• Evan June 15, 2011 at 12:51 pm

You should definitely check out Munchi’s moombahton production/remix work.

• Erik LittleFin Schwartz June 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm

@Evan

was gonna suggest Munchi, he’s definitely laying some solid groundwork for the genre

• G June 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm

Munchi also has the advantage that a lot of his songs DON’T fit the 108bpm that is supposedly the defining factor Moombahton… and yet his music still very much fits with the genre.
        I like it, I think its cool music to listen to. Electro-House enthusiasts are gonna hate on it the same way they hated on Dubstep when it started getting more common. THey’ll get over it.

• Mass septuM June 15, 2011 at 1:04 pm

I actually speed up Que Que Feat. Maluca with keylock on :p
    Gives the song more of a kick!

• Daniel James Plummer June 15, 2011 at 1:17 pm

Never heard any of this before, but those Dillon tracks are freakin’ sexy. I need more!

• jj June 15, 2011 at 1:18 pm

it seems like you havent really been listening to the right stuff
    theres obviously a lot of crap out there and everyone is an opportunist
    its just extremely easy for the opportunists to be present due to moombahton’s relationship to house music + how young the genre is
    discounting a whole genre is retarded though
    there is something to enjoy in everything unless you are extremely closed minded
    here are a few of my favorites

amac ~ annie you reset! me (moombahton edit)
    sabo ~ zulu funk (township funk remix)
    dillon francis ~ masta blasta
    munchi ~ firepower (moombahcore remix)

(ps – kudos on dillon francis, he’s definitely changing the game)

• Drewboo King June 15, 2011 at 1:53 pm

where can i find this moombahton version of “moombah”? im curious to hear the version that started this movement

• moombahtonic » Blog Archive » MOOMBAHTON CONTROVERSY! ‘CHEMICAL JUMP’ ON CREATIVITY IN MOOMBAHTON June 15, 2011 at 2:18 pm

[...] chemicaljump.com/2011/06/15/moombahton-a-slow-starting-relationship/#comments [...]

• Ryan June 15, 2011 at 2:35 pm

FEEL YOU! There’s like 4 artists worth listening to, just because Diplo puts out a compilation (Which has about 4 artists on it) doesn’t make it hip…

• Christiaan Albers June 15, 2011 at 3:07 pm

I totally agree! Too many simple home made tracks that don’t have what it takes to make this a legit genre. Though, there are some very good tracks, but there are just too few.

• jose June 15, 2011 at 3:41 pm

you should listen to puertorican moombahton http://snd.sc/l6cEbN

• Alvarado June 15, 2011 at 5:18 pm

Yes, there are a ton of low-quality home-made tracks, but I think that’s because the genre is emerging through soundcloud.

HOWEVER …

When you do find moombahton with high production value, it bangs and is a fresh change of pace from 130BPM electro-house.

There actually are a few artists that make club-ready moombahton with great replay value & production.

Dlllon Francis (as mentioned already)

Market Price

J-Trick

Munchi

I could go on, but there are quality moombahton producers out there who are innovating. Give it time and we’ll find out about them sooner or later.

• Adrian June 15, 2011 at 5:37 pm

I think the same shit happenned with electro, people just filtered out the shit after a while. There are shitty producers making music in all genres, except when something like dubstep or moombahton emerges they all try and get on board. I think unfortunately, people heard Dave Nada’s edits and thought it was ok just to slow tracks down ad add a kick drum, but there is much more to his edits than that. Besides the point though, people are playing moombahton in clubs and at parties, and people are going fucking wild for it on the dancefloor, so whether you like it or not, people are going to keep making it!

• Riggs June 15, 2011 at 6:39 pm

Listen I feel like people love to hate what they dont understand but hey I guess no one realized that Dave Nada the originator of the genre loved EDM and also Reggeton so he thought it would be nice to have the 2 together. But Its the music biz nothing but haters everywhere!!

• awshit June 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm

i like to party moombahton doesnt make me wanna party. its going to sleep music.

• Fuzzhead June 15, 2011 at 9:02 pm

I mostly agree. Like Mass SeptuM said, I actually play “Que Que” sped up to ~130 and I like it better. That’s how I feel about most moombahton tracks. I’ll hear a decent moombahton track and think “OK, this is alright, but it’d be way better at 130-135 bpm”.

Good job on mentioning “Pendejas” – that song is killer.

• delayn June 15, 2011 at 9:35 pm

never heard of moombahton before, and i think it’s good the way it was… electro tunes meant to be played loud and fast. but if there are people out there who like that kind of style – let em.

• Ricardo Lopez June 15, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Moombahton= air fresh
    We are kind of tired of all those dutch and dubstep producers…

• Nan0 June 15, 2011 at 11:31 pm

Wow… First 10 secomds of Broken Hearts reminded me of “Moby – pale horses” ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFsvKcWnee0&feature=related )
    Thx Nate for the incredible musical experience that you’re sharing with us!

• Cenk Oezdemir June 16, 2011 at 4:51 am

word!! Nate, im exactly what im thinking!

• Pietro Nicoletti June 16, 2011 at 7:39 am

munchi ~ firepower (moombahcore remix)

this si the best track!

• Tim June 16, 2011 at 9:16 am

I gotta say after seeing this i lost all respect for chemical jump. Moombahton has lots of amazing productions if you take the time to find it, as someone who runs a blog you should know that. I get irratated when u talk about moombahton not having depth. Have you ever heard of afrojack? When the fuck has he made a song that sounds any different from the rest? That goes for most house music now, and not to mention most of the posts recently have been boring on this blog. Chemicaljump: Booooooooooooo……

• Wojtek Stobinski June 16, 2011 at 9:25 am

Mentioned above already.. heres Diplos take on it

• Omar Israel June 16, 2011 at 10:30 am

this aint new at least here in my country (Mexico) a lot of producers whom make reggaetton music produces “electro-reggaetton” like them call this “genre” i dont like it too much in fact the people who loves this are kinda “Ghetto” haha the genre is quite crazy i dont like it too much regards

• Whtvrz_klvr June 16, 2011 at 11:21 am

“Move” ~ DJ JWLS

Best moombah track I’ve heard soo far!

• 01546 June 16, 2011 at 1:59 pm

I agree with you’re point of view but you have to give it a chance this genre is barely staring and with time its going to change like all other genres do (like you also mention). I think it’s a great genre is sexy, smooth and you can actually grind to it at clubs. ;D It’s a win win for guys and girls. But yeah they have to start making new songs instead of slowing them.

• whytorican June 16, 2011 at 2:01 pm

bitches love moombahton.
    I love bitches.
    I love moombahton.

Nate, you sound as ignorant as hip hop fanatics with house or anything electric (or to them – techno..)

The reason why moombahton is blowing has nothing to fucking do with bpm’s or dillon francis or “lazy” edits; it’s the latin vibes and reggaeton roots. What do you mean “the problem” with moombahton is that you can define it? fuckin noob. You can define 3ball, guarachero, cumbia, etc. and that doesn’t make them any less ridiculous on ANY given dancefloor. Someone who says you can’t dance to moombahton.. just can’t dance bruh lol Quit hatin, Nate. You wanna stick to corny moog synth buildups and jumpin around with the rest of the e-tards, be my guest. I’ll stick to grindin with bad, bent-kneed bitches with coronas in both hands

Haters, you have two left feet, no rhythm, and huevos pequenos.

U MAD?

• assholio June 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm

lol at people who just cant stand when someone has a differing point of view from them. losing all respect for a blog because the author expressed a personal opinion that you happen to disagree with? if thats how you go through life, i pity you.

• assholio June 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm

also, moombahton is so fucking awful

• Evan G June 16, 2011 at 3:06 pm

I really liked in early 09 when electro had a trend of a similar beat at 128, after Diplo and laidback luke put out “Hey” it kind of exploded. Count and Sinden “Mega”, and others. It was a big trend right before dutch house and wolfgang took over.

• Michael Cordova June 16, 2011 at 7:03 pm

There are some great artists out there such as David Heartbreak producing moombahsoul. The genre is slowly growing and branching out in different directions. There is a lot of shit out there, this is true. We definitely need more original material from original artists. One of my favourite tracks at moment… Check it out!!

• Kasey Murphey June 17, 2011 at 1:10 am

you guys should check out diplo’s new mix.

• christian June 17, 2011 at 3:32 am

That’s the only thing i listen to … and my heartbelongs to house / soulful house music… but moombahton has something i cant describe, makes me move …i love the laziness the dirtiness and now there’s moombahsoul, more mellow… i love moombahton and it wont go away for sure.

• Bran June 17, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I think Nate just doesn’t like it because he is indie and can’t like anything popular at the moment. Yeah there is a TON of shit moombahton but theres much more shit dubstep and no one complains about that. Good moombahton is good music no matter what label you put on it. I know its cool to hate on moombahton cuz its “easy to make” but lets see you create something half as good as Munchi or Francis make, Nate.

• Bran June 17, 2011 at 3:56 pm

And for the record Nate you wouldn’t get this many angry comments if you stuck to posting things you LIKE not things you HATE. doesn’t make sense. You just bring up a topic and then just shit on it. but then you still include some tracks.. doesnt make sense

• Polo June 18, 2011 at 3:14 am

I kind of “despise” this genre as well. But as it turns out, I have found a few great Song (Dillon Francis oblige) and I found it great to start a mix with a lot of energy!

Heres a mix I put up a while ago, sounds pretty good to suck the attention

Cheers
    P

• Coly June 19, 2011 at 10:07 am

‘moombahton’ sucks. End of discussion.

• Dan June 19, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I don’t know any of this whatever-whatever subgenre-genre, but from what I’ve heard, this genre does have a something-something that makes it easier to categorize than other… genres. Those examples you gave sounded pretty fresh though.

Unknowingly, I had I moombahton edit on my iTunes. I thought “moombahton” was just part of the title. It’s an edit of F.O.O.L.’s Fortune; it’s a banging track!

• Alex June 20, 2011 at 12:04 am

I didn’t like moombahton when I first heard it because what I first heard was just dutch house songs slowed down to 110 BPM or originals that were composed using the same drum beat as moombah so they all just sounded way too slow. As I found more stuff though I found some really good productions and it’s really grown on me. The BPM I find very danceable and I think it’s very fun to listen to. A few weeks ago Switch from Major Lazer played at The House Of Blues (Chicago) and his whole set was moombahton when all the other DJs had been doing primarily dubstep and the crowd really loved it. It was an amazing set. I think you just have to find people that are doing it right, as with any genre.

• Josh June 20, 2011 at 11:38 am

DJ Ayres of T&A Records on moombahton… GO READ http://blog.turntablelab.com/2011/06/moombahton.html

• Booshh June 20, 2011 at 12:45 pm

Nate (and anyone else looking to get into it) I suggest Mad Decent’s Blow your head vol. 2, a friend of mine was playing it the other day in my car and it was mindblowing (considering I had been hesitant about this genre at first too)

• Justus June 22, 2011 at 3:23 pm

nate
    There is terrible music in every genre. No one is forcing any one to listen to moombahton if they don’t want to. Moombahton is not going to go any where and you should be happy that there is a new music being made.

• marcelo June 22, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Shorty: Moombathon = Reggaeton

• Dan Fisher July 15, 2011 at 12:31 pm

hey… at one point, hip hop was funk/soul/disco breakdown looped and chattered over. most genres were born out of humble beginnings and evolve from there.

i’m loving Moombahton. i like the remixes and edits. i like the story. and i like some of the original productions that have been hitting this year.

• Alex September 13, 2011 at 3:47 pm

• MUST DIE! & Sazon Booya – Dropper (Original Mix) | The Get Downnn September 21, 2012 at 4:18 pm

[...] some have previously questioned the genre’s merit, Moombahton appears to be here to stay — and a couple of the artists [...]