Sep
Justice – Helix Posted by: Nate in Electronic

I’ve been talking to a lot of people recently about the new Justice sound. There’s an interview below that I’ve embedded in which they talk a lot about the decisions behind making the album, but the conclusion I’ve come to in my own mind is this.

One of the first Justice tracks that everyone remembers the most is We Are Your Friends. Technically not their first track ever (for those that want to know, their first track ever was called Sure You Will and isn’t really regarded as anything serious) but it served the purpose of launching them out of graphic design jobs and into the music world.

Years later they would create Waters of Nazareth and go onto release their Cross album. But what ever happened to that sound from We Are Your Friends? Cross was totally different and in a completely new direction from what they had done at first. Something that they mention in the interview is that they made the first record, Cross, “blatantly aggressive, because we thought it was the right way of doing it at the time”.

Knowing what they know today I don’t think Justice would have ever created something like Cross. I feel like their next album, Audio, Video, Disco, is what they truly wanted to create all along, but didn’t know how or really fully grasp the mechanics behind it all. All the instruments on the record are played by either Gaspard or Xavier, so you know they’ve come along way in learning how to create that sound. Interestingly they won’t be doing as the Bloody Beetroots have and make their live shows more in a band style.
“it’s going to be mainly computer generated because we like the sound of it” is what Xaivier has to say.

As far as this new track Helix is concerned, I like the feel of it much more than Audio, Video, Disco and Civilization. Although the trailing minutes of the song leave a lot to be desired after soaking in the beginning funk.

At the end of the day, I still love Justice. Granted I loved the old Justice more, and I’ll definitely miss that sound that got me into this whole world in the first place. This new sound won’t fit anywhere near the category I place most of my music in, but if I needed to expand my musical feelings out any further there’s no doubt this is the first stepping stone.

Justice – Helix (256 kbps)

p.s. If you have a different opinion I’d like to hear it in the comments.

• Yuga Radivojevic September 14, 2011 at 8:32 am

In the future they will probably make an album similar to Cross. The Cross is just EPIC. I respect tne new(old) sound of Audio,Video,Disco but the sound of Cross is just unique :)

• M&M September 14, 2011 at 9:27 am

Ppl saying that Cross was unique. Well, it certainly is good, but not unique. Came upon an article in the Guardian, where as sidenote it was suggested that Justice “borrowed” heavy basslines and some other elements from Vitalic (listen to La Rock e.g.). I’d say it’s all there. Was there bf Justice made it mainstream. Besides, making another Cross would be tedious. For fans and for Justice, I think. You want the band to develop and not do the same thing all-over-again. Currently there are hundreds of artists who use the all too similar French tech-house heavy sound Justice made mainstream and so why would Justice want to do another Cross. Ther’s no sense. Listen to new Nero if you need heavy bass. They’ve certainly listened to Justice and Co. while making the new album. It’s very detectable.

• Griffin Glenn September 16, 2011 at 9:13 pm

I am with M&M. but i would say many of the aspects that made cross popular were not just earlier electro house artists like soulwax (electroclash in the case of early vitalic) but also the french filter scene i.e. alan braxe, oizo, daft punk, and even early sebastiAn. but nonetheless there are legitimately so many reasons I love this song (Helix). Its sexy leather disco in electro era high-fi, tinted with graceful 70s rock ballad virtuosity and really a beautiful french filter outro. Its a gorgeous song and its amazing to watch your favorite artists grow. It would be mind numbing to have to hear them pump out the same records time and time again. I think most of the electro house kings of yesteryear (07′) have been aging quite well actually. The whole ed banger crew in particular has really come into themselves artistically and stylistically.

• zack September 14, 2011 at 9:49 am

are you using a new player? because my computer wont play posts lately.

• Alex Poirier September 14, 2011 at 11:02 am

Cross definitely is one of my main albums that got me into the EDM scene. Now, with that being said, I think it was a great album, but it was simple because of its complexity. Songs like Stress and Waters of Nazerath sounded noisy (in a good way), and to me thats almost easier to do. Much to the like of BBRs Warp, and Designer Drugs ‘Drop Down’…I love them, and they sound amazing but compared to Justice’s new sound which seems a lot more clean, while still being very complex. And this to me is a much more difficult approach. I think their new stuff shows how they have matured and have heard comparisons to Queen even. Personally, I love the old, and I love the new. I’m all about genre breaking sounds. Woo little long winded, haha.

• Duncan September 14, 2011 at 11:39 am

It was Justice who got me into the Electro scene a few years back along with Boys Noize. I think ‘Helix’ is good and better than ‘Audio Video Disco, but no match for the classics from ‘Cross’ such as ‘DVNO’ and ‘Genesis’. Justice have a lot to live up to in their next album. Having said that, I’ll still get it if it’s shit.

• Andrew September 14, 2011 at 11:54 am

I am all for artists trying to push the envelope and not just just copy their old style but I think the sound of the new album is such a far cry to their old sound, they are going to lose a lot of fans, but also gain new ones. Personally, I liked their dirty gritty french sound. I think there are plenty of artists out right now trying to revive Disco and based on the three tracks I have heard, the new Justice doesn’t stand out from them.

• Antonio September 14, 2011 at 11:54 am

They hinted at it, their live set is gonna be that good shit everybody wants. and I’m supporting them, all the way there.

• eMusicDub September 14, 2011 at 11:54 am

Ok well my opinion and impression of Justice is, that next to SebastiAn and maybe some other they are technically seen the best artists in the Electronic Music Buis. This has been showed mainly by publishing “Cross” which was different to the songs they used to created earlier. Not only the Technique, also the feeling. Cross sound a lot dirtier and harder, which has become significant for Justice.. kinda like coming close the Mehdi… After Cross theyve become one of the world top DJ duos even because of this special sound of cross and getting the old sound back is for maybe two or three singles pretty okay and also maybe for 1 EP but a new album wont satisfy the most of their fans, me included.
    To Justice – Helix : i really like the funky sound of it, but to be honest, this is the only aspect, which makes the song attraktive for me. The Sound is to mainstream-like and even if Justice said in their interview that they dont care if they create songs in known styles or creating their own style; Justice always had their own style: Cross with Audio, Video, Disco they fall back in aspects of conventional sounds and technique
    P.S.: sorry for my bad english i hope i expressed it in a way, youve been able to understand

- eMusicDub

• lyle shannon September 14, 2011 at 12:05 pm

great interview. they seem very honest about everything they are doing with this new album. even though there is all this talk about the 70′s rock influences and such, i think the songs i’ve heard have a very fresh sound. people too often assume that electronic music is supposed to be all about thumping bass and club hits and bangers. it’s not. justice’s music is about an attitude more than anything. cross and audio, video, disco might have very distinct sounds but i think they both come at you with the same approach (or at least from the 3 songs i’ve heard). we shall see.

• AngryPanda September 14, 2011 at 2:23 pm

“We Are Your Friends” is not a Justice track. It’s a track by Simian that Justice remixed for a remix contest.

• tommy tea. September 14, 2011 at 2:27 pm

everyone loved Cross. we know that.
    many people will probably not like Audio, Video, Disco as much. because it is not Cross. we know that.
    can we accept a new sound direction from the guys that revolutionized “EDM” 4 years ago?
    well, is it good?
    if it’s good, then fans of good music will enjoy it. haters will not understand and continue hating.
    support it if it’s good. or if you like it.
    don’t waste your words hating because there will be plenty of it and no one cares.
    let’s go see them on tour.

• Anon September 14, 2011 at 3:04 pm

personally i welcome the new style, if they kept the cross sound they would have had to one-up themselves or the album would be considered a let down, changing directions all together kind of takes the weight of producing another cross-like classic off their shoulders, so when people say they’re not feeling it it’s because “oh it’s totally different than cross”

• Larry September 14, 2011 at 3:21 pm

Look the bottom line is it’s a good song and they’re clearly moving in a softer direction and a more polished old school rock/disco sound instead of chaos/metal. While I loved Cross, I for one enjoy seeing artists experiment and taking their sound in a more shall I say, diverse, direction.

For the record, this track is awesome and has the Justice feel and nu disco.

• Armis September 14, 2011 at 3:42 pm

This is shit… Like Daft Punk soundtrack for Tron but everybody afraid to say it… Cross and Discovery forever

• Jack September 14, 2011 at 4:56 pm

Look guys, I’m tired of seeing the same posts by people about Justice’s latest releases. To me Justice have always been about using classic instruments (e.g pianos, organs, guitars, bass guitars) & not tacky synths like ‘hoovers’. their approach to production has always been like a band. the drum loops, melodies and structure of their songs were never made with the intention of being a club hit. they dont throw two minute build ups into the middle of their songs yet they’ve made some of the most thrilling trax ever. They’re trying to make something thats gonna last and make an impression, not some banger dj’s will play out for a month then never play again! I can’t understand why people keep saying they have a “new sound” this is a continuation of what justice have always sounded like to me! Like they say in the interview people didn’t accept their sound immediately – 4 years on every artist since has tried to immitate it. For goodness sake people wait until you hear the album in its entirety before you give your opinions & i guarantee the following 5 years will be full of random producers trying to match Justices 2011 sound!

• Skitou (fr) September 14, 2011 at 5:31 pm

As he says at the beginning of the interview, people didn’t like the sounds of Justice when freshly released.
    I totally agree with him. I found Civilization and Audio, Video, Disco really disgusting when I first listened to them. After listening to these titles several times, I really appreciate them now.
    Generally, people listen to a song longer if they don’t like it at the first listening rather than to one that makes them crazy at the first beat. Similar to love, don’t you think ? I’m sure each one will find an example of a music he liked after a time of “acclimatization”, after getting to know each other. ^^

We are all going to like this album by the end !!

• Dirtie Clouds September 15, 2011 at 4:33 am

I have more respect for artists that adapt their sound than any others. EG. Justice and also guys like Crookers, Bloody beetroots. They don’t want to make garbage mass produced shit. They want to make different music that may not appeal to people now but later on. Staying ahead of the sound is key to any artists success. Also, people calling the Daft Punks soundtrack to Tron was crap. It’s not an album.. Its a Soundtrack… Its not meant to be full of the daft punk sound. Its Ambient and is meant to fill a movie with emotion not to turn the cinema into a nightclub.

• 45 Riots Per Minute September 15, 2011 at 10:37 am

well what can we say more, justice is justice

i always amazed on how that dudes made a sample from the old song and re-created it so it makes good and finest beats like what we’ve heard on CROSS

and now they said they wanted to create new sound and else.

all we need to do is love it or hate it. It’s on ours

PS: I miss “let it be light” sound

• nothx September 15, 2011 at 11:55 am

eh. sounds like a couple of dudes with vast studio knowledge, and too much time/money to use it. the guitars in this scream “i did 40 takes of this part when i should have been writing better songs.”

• ZachNirich September 15, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Sounds pretty good, its not cross but a lot of people would be mad if they just made cross 2. I feel like the record reflects a lot of electronic/dance music is moving to. Some seem to be going for that live sound/feel. While its sad in some ways it isnt cross 2, everything has changed. I remember when i started to get into dance/electronic music and what i was listening and even those sounds are different same groups but they change over time. There are some people i can’t wait for a new album, but i have to remind myself it isnt going to be like the last. I think it could still be interesting to see them preform these live, since they aren’t going for a live band set up they must still be planing to play clubs and what not, so these songs might get a bit more “clubby” when played live.

• The Bulgar September 17, 2011 at 11:01 am

Open your minds, if you think Justice should make a carbon copy of Cross, just keep listening to Cross on repeat, the new shit kills it! they are just expanding the musical realm and terrain, if you don’t like it, don’t shit talk, there is plenty of Justice clones out there you can enjoy

• kubrick 1000 September 18, 2011 at 11:06 am

busy p said they had to pay huge money for all the samples, maybe thats why they played everything themselves from scratch. the new approach is playing around.
    when busy p played the new justice tracks on festivals to promote, people tried dancing but it is just impossible to dance to. helix sounds like ghostbusters to me.
    there a hipefully coming lots of good remixes, the para one and dlg sound good.

• Annie Supreme October 1, 2011 at 4:03 am

Honestly, this track just sounds like they wanted to copy Daft Punk. Nothing original in it.

• Anon October 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I hate to say it, and I think many people are afraid to say it but from the new tracks I’ve heard this album is a huge disappointment. This isn’t about it “not sounding like Cross” I already have Cross and wanted to hear something new and evolved but with all the hype and time with this in the pipeline I was expecting something EPIC. These songs sound so half-produced and lazily crafted, at no point has there been a WOW moment with any of it. On the first record, tracks like Nazareth, Stress, Newjack and Genesis all blew me away and so far I haven’t heard anything that makes me think “Wow, wasn’t expecting that” or “that’s cool and clever” – It’s not the ‘Cross’ factor that’s been lost here IMO, it’s the ‘Justice’ factor and there ability to craft truly remarkable music.