Sep
Wolfgang Gartner – 818 Posted by: Nate in Electronic

Whenever I meet someone new and start talking about the blog and electronic music I usually get asked the same question at some point, “Who should I listen to?”. Admittedly my response always varies a bit depending upon the person, but my go to answer for the past while has been Wolfgang Gartner. He’s one of the artists I see as a guiding light of sorts in todays world of electro with a sound that defines the genre more than I could explain it. And has If you ask me, Wolfgang should have been a lot higher on America’s top DJ list, but that’s a rant for another day.

Wolfgang Gartner – 818 (320 kbps)

Pick up his new album Weekend In America on Beatport

• ltfm September 23, 2011 at 9:33 am

definitely got my #1 vote this year

• HUANSOAHN September 23, 2011 at 9:46 am

If you had asked me a half year ago i would have said the same thing: WG is one of the best if not the best dj/producer of our time.BUT i listened to that record up and down since yesterday and i must say i am more than disappointed.There are some cool tracks (and i am talking bout the ones without vocals!)but even those that start good sound like outtakes he didnt want to use in the past.The vocals contributions are weak and misplaced,Wg sounds like a third grade David Guette feat. black vocoder clone no # 6 cover.I saw him 4 weeks ago in cologne and his set was so weak that we left before it ended.I am not hatin but i have to admit that this record is shit!

• Gimmick Mask September 23, 2011 at 10:16 am

When I saw him at EDC, I thought his live set had gone downhill compared to TAO last year and especially the previous EDC, but that might just be me getting tired of his sound now that so many people have ripped him off. He was playing a bunch of bad vocal tracks – I guess the stuff on this album. He’s still easily one of the most technically talented producers ever.

• HUANSOAHN September 23, 2011 at 11:37 am

this is produced in a good way but the tracks are just amazingly dull and boring.i appreciate everyone else opinion its just mine.

• SadWolf September 23, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Yea…Wolfgang has been my favorite producer/DJ since i first started listening to EDM in ’08. I flew to Miami’s Ultra Music Fest for him alone. But his recent works with the like of Omarion have given me little hope for this once Titan’s future. I hope I am beyond wrong.

• Sam September 24, 2011 at 5:54 am

…funny, WG is for me the example for; once great, now just as lame as a whole other bunch who were once great….
    The creativity in the songs are hard to find these days…

• Dylon September 24, 2011 at 8:50 am

The album is great, aside from 2 or 3 tracks that the vocals ruined. Hopefully, the instrumentals will surface, and those too will sound great. (Like “Forever” does without that douche on it.) “Shrunken Heads” is one of the best Wolf tracks I’ve ever heard. I don’t understand the hate already surrounding this album, just like I didn’t agree with everyone shitting on MSTRKRFT’s “Fist of God.”

• Brendan streetstreet September 24, 2011 at 11:28 am

I was rushing to listen but must say that I was also disappointed in Wolfgangs album.

• Andrew September 24, 2011 at 4:50 pm

i agree with the others.. i was looking forward to this album but all the decent tracks were previously released as singles.. didn’t really care for any of the other tracks on here… i also saw him perform last weekend and his set was so weak compared to avalon last year… how the mighty have fallen.

• Feature Cuts September 25, 2011 at 12:07 am

I totally agree with you! Wolfgang Gartner is a genius, and he’s developing music beyond a genre. His influence is slowly but surely taking on the mainstream as well.

• nerdy September 25, 2011 at 12:29 am

Link to full album and review at wewantelectricvibes dot com!

• HUANSOAHN September 25, 2011 at 4:06 am

@Dylon: MSTRKRFTS fist of god was awful.really awful

• More Easy September 25, 2011 at 8:59 am

• RoyalFlush September 25, 2011 at 10:16 am

I have been listening to Mr.Gartner for awhile now especially after his essential mix dropped back in Dec. of last year I believe. But since then I feel like his production has been lacking that drive that he had when he was rising and wanted to be at the top. The last couple times I saw him live his sets varied from excellent (EDC 2011) to plain boring (Lake Tahoe Sept.(Mont Bleu)) He will always be a legend to me but I think he is just trying to find his groove right now. This new album I haven’t even cared to check out yet tho so I cant really decide on my opinion on his latest work. Keep it up CJ love the work just wish you would try and keep up with a post every day ;)

• Derek September 28, 2011 at 3:03 am

I can’t argue on this one. This is definitely not his best work, however there are still quality productions on here. Wolfgang is still one of the top producers in the game IMO. Anyone who caught his set at TAO will testify to this (He literally reworked all of this tracks and mind-fucked everybody in a way I had never heard any producer perform!) As far as his dj abilities, I think what makes such a great dj is his next-level production skills. He threw down the GREATEST dj set I’d ever heard EVER @ the Avalon last year(And I’ve seen my fair share of dj performances). Granted, this was just as some light was being shed on Illamerica, so hearing tracks like Menage a Trois & Space Junk for the first time was pretty epic! lol I’d have to agree though that his set @ EDC in June was meh but I’m not sure how much EVEN HE wanted to change up his set in less than a year’s time. But as long as keeps doing things like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UH6ru71fHsw he will have my attention! (1:46)

• ballard September 28, 2011 at 1:10 pm

Gartner is one of the most professional live mixers I’ve ever seen for any genre of electronic. Literally tried to leave from exhaustion for 1.5 hours and every time he’d drop the next track we had to stay.
    My opinion? Just let him do his thing, artists find different motivation as they go along. I like track btw, not a favorite, but if every track was a favorite that wouldn’t mean anything.

• Cheve October 6, 2011 at 5:35 pm

He’s great, but I agree this new album is very weak. Hopefully when I see him live in a couple weeks, he’ll destroy the place and not mess around with these lame vocal tracks!